Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Door A or Door B

As most of you know, I have some pretty serious decisions to make right about now… decisions that will affect my finances and my living situation. And they are the hardest kinds of decisions: the ones that impact people other than you.

So how do you go about deciding to wreck your life? :) I think the most important part is accepting that you can’t change what’s happening. The time you waste on hand-wringing and “why me” ’s is time you could be spending TRACKING DOWN THE PEOPLE WHO DID THIS TO YOU… *ahem*... I mean, is time you could be working on a solution to the issue at hand.

Now I’ve been called “level-headed” a time or two. So how does a level-headed person figure out what to do? First, I lock down all emotions and think about what I should do. I mentally list all the pros and cons of the situation, logically consider all possible outcomes, come to a conclusion, and then examine that conclusion for flaws. Then, I open the floodgates of irrationality and consider what I want to do. How does it make me feel? Can I make a final decision without guilt/regret? If all goes well, in the end I will make a compromise between emotion and logic; both sides of my brain can be happy.*

Do I ask for help? I don’t ask for advice, but I do ask for opinions. To be honest, what I’m really interested in is if you can come up with some brilliant insight that I haven’t already mulled over. Chances are, you can’t. After all, I am a genius and relentless in my pursuit of “situation extrapolation.” (Go ahead – try to smack me for my smugness. I already considered that possibility and prepared a distraction: wow - look at that goat in a beret! *runs*) Anyway, I’m like everyone else: I’m going to do what I’m going to do – regardless of what you say.

Soooo… I won’t take advice, but I do accept prayers, happy thoughts, and large sacks of cash.

*Incidentally, this is how I came up with my plan to deal with the Zombie Apocalypse. My logical side told me that I have no practical fighting skills (other than bottomless rage), but definite cruelty potential. My emotional side was acting all hard like I could kill a bunch of brain-eaters with my bare hands. I put the two sides together and decided that my Zombie Plan is to follow my friend Jeff around. He has dozens of guns and knows how to use them. And before you ladies get snippy about how I’m playing the stereotypical “damsel in distress” role, consider this: my first official duty as Jeff’s Gun Caddy will be to stab a zombie in the face with a ballpoint pen. Establish yourself as the craziest freak early on and no one will turn their back on you. Not exactly “in distress” here.

No comments:

Post a Comment